Here are some moving tips courtesy of the California Moving and Storage Association (CMSA). We find this information to be very useful to our clients.
- Schedule your move with a mover well in advance (i.e., 30 days) of your moving date. Be sure the proper crew and equipment are reserved. Remember the summer months are the peak moving season. The beginning and ending days of each month are also busy for licensed/insured movers.
- If you wish to save money and perform some of your own packing, ask your local movers how and where can you obtain suitable boxes.
- Set aside enough time to perform your own packing well in advance of moving day.
- Pack up a special “last on truck, first off truck” box. Include light bulbs, a flashlight, water, a favorite toy for children, one set of towels and linens, coffee pot, etc. You may want to take this ”special box” with you in the car.
- Notify the post office of your change of address and turn off your utilities. Send out change of address cards to businesses, friends, and relatives prior to moving.
- Dispose of all flammables, combustibles such as matches, aerosol cans, paint, thinner, etc. Drain all fuel from mowers and other equipment. Please be advised that most movers will not transport propane tanks in any condition.
- Unplug and do not use television sets 24 prior to moving. Internal damage can occur should a TV set be moved in which heat is still retained. Only move television sets after they have been reduced to room temperature. It is also suggested to back up data on all personal computers onto a disk.
- If you are moving items of extraordinary value or antiques, obtain a written appraisal of such items to verify value. Avoid waxing or oiling wooden antiques and fine furniture before moving because some products may soften the wood, making it vulnerable to printing from furniture pads. Most consumers place their cash, credit card and jewelry in a safe place, and carry such items from the origin to destination on their persons.
- Be ready on moving day. Local moves are normally charged on an hourly basis by moving companies. Items not be moved by movers should be obviously segregated. Know where you want items placed at destination. Arranging and rearranging furniture placement at destination increase the price.
SAN DIEGO´S PREMIER MOVING COMPANY